CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
Named by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” for 11 consecutive years.
About CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
At CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, we’re building the future of healthcare as the largest not-for-profit health plan in the Mid-Atlantic region. Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia residents and their families count on us for healthcare they understand and can afford. And we don’t take that lightly.
Every day, through our diversified portfolio, we serve employers, members, providers and our communities. Our people work tirelessly to deliver accessible and affordable experiences and solutions for our customers. What we’re building for the people that count on us is exactly what we expect for ourselves and those we love.
CareFirst. It’s not just our name, it’s our promise.
In accordance with the Charter of the nonprofit health service plan, the mission of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield shall be to:
- Provide affordable and accessible health insurance to the plan’s insured and those persons insured or issued health benefit plans by affiliates or subsidiaries of the plan.
- Assist and support public and private health care initiatives for individuals without health insurance.
- Promote the integration of a health care system that meets the health care needs of all the residents of the jurisdictions in which the nonprofit health system service plan operates.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
“We have an incredible responsibility to lead with humility and act with humanity, using our voice to engage in deeper conversation with the people who trust us to fulfill our mission’s work.”
– Brian D. Pieninck, President & CEO
At CareFirst, we invest in inclusion, demand equity and nurture belonging every day for our employees and the communities we serve. We rely on the rich diversity of our employees’ experiences and backgrounds to achieve our mission.
We are proud to say:
- Our workforce is comprised of more than 5,700 employees
- Around 70% of our workforce identifies as female and nearly 50% identify as non-white
- Over 1500 employees (more than 25% of our workforce) participate in one or more Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)