Each employee at SunCoke is part of our collaborative and complimentary team. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace that brings out the best in all of us. We respect all employees for their unique expertise and welcome the ideas they bring from their individual experience, education and training. We continually strive to make our operations more efficient, while creating a respectful work environment for each team member.
We are a raw material processing and handling company serving steel and power customers, with principal businesses in cokemaking and logistics.
Coke is an essential ingredient in blast furnace production of steel.
- Globally, we have 5.9 million tons of annual cokemaking capacity
- Our 4.2 million tons of U.S. capacity represents about 25 percent of the U.S. and Canadian markets
- We have U.S. facilities in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Virginia, and international operations in Brazil
- Our innovative heat-recovery cokemaking technology captures excess heat for steam or electrical power generation
- Our long-term, take-or-pay contracts contain key provisions for pass-through of coal, operating and transportation costs, insulating us from commodity price volatility
- We receive a fixed fee per ton of coke produced
Our domestic and export terminals serve coal producers and end users in the steel, coke and power industries.
- Our terminals are strategically located to serve key U.S. ports in the Gulf Coast, East Coast and Great Lakes
- We have the collective capacity to mix and transload more than 25 million tons annually
- The Convent Marine Terminal is one of the largest on U.S. Gulf Coast and the only terminal on the lower Mississippi with direct rail access
- Annual capacity of 15 million tons
Our culture at SunCoke is driven by our core values. SunCoke’s values of Excellence, Innovation, Commitment, Integrity and Stewardship are at the heart of who we are and how we work every day. They guide our actions and decisions so we can always strive to do the right thing for our stakeholders, our business and each other.
- Excellence: expect the best from yourself, remove obstacles, inspire and support others, embrace diversity and celebrate success.
- Innovation: master the science and process, create a better way, find a better solution and push the envelope.
- Commitment: deliver results, be accountable, work as a team, continuously improve and grow and always communicate effectively.
- Integrity: do what is right, say what you mean, do what you say, earn trust and treat others with respect.
- Stewardship: provide safe, reliable and environmentally sound operations for our people and their families, our customers and the communities where we do business.
We live by the ethos: Think Safe. Act Safe. Be Safe.
Our top priority has always been the safety of our employees, contractors and visitors. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, this became even more challenging as we worked to ensure workplace safety was maintained while also ensuring that our employees were protected from the virus. In response to the outbreak, we established an internal task force of subject matter experts, initiated enhanced health and safety measures across our facilities and enacted a work from home program for all qualifying personnel.
Safety is so important to SunCoke that we include safety in our core values and also incorporate safety as a metric in our short-term incentive program.
We have an ambition of zero incidents and injuries in the workplace. To reach our goal, we follow our Safety Vision, which is comprised of five core components including:
- Visible safety leadership – site and corporate leadership have made a commitment to safety as the paramount value within the company and our site leadership practices visible safety leadership on a daily basis.
- Communication and training – All team members and contractors taking responsibility for their own safety and the safety of those around them and we train to ensure proper safety knowledge.
- Safe work practices – All team members and contractors take the time necessary to properly identify and mitigate all hazards and safely do each job.
- Incident investigation – We comply with all applicable laws and regulation and perform root cause analysis on all incidents.
- Continuous improvement – we are always focused on preventing safety incidents and Thinking Safe, Acting Safe and Being Safe.
Working With Us – Benefits
We offer comprehensive health, welfare and retirement benefits. We also offer supplemental benefits programs designed to enhance the daily life and well-being of our employees, including: weight-loss, benefits services price-transparency, retirement planning education and coaching, paid-time off (including for community service), tuition reimbursement, health management for chronic conditions and a 24/7 employee assistance program.